So I was reading the section called "Covert Operations" (page 211) in our book. I got an icky feeling when I was reading this section. Yes, I realize that this is something that would occur after one tried other ways of change. I just personally don't think that being dishonest (well, selectively honest) and sneaky is the way to create change.
From my personal experience of being a teenage girl for a third of my life, being sneaky and selectively telling the truth does not create change and freedom, it gets you grounded. And on an ethical, moral level, I feel like if you have to outwardly manipulate people to create change, then that should NOT be the environment that you work in.
I just absolutely LOVED that Professor Rhodes was very clear that we don't have to work in the organization to create change and good. We can choose to remove ourselves from the organization so that we can fight a good and honest fight. In my opinion, it seems foolish to fight corruption with more corruption.
I realize that not everyone feels as strongly about this as I do. But I thin a major part of being a social worker is remaining true to your values. We place such a high emphasis on the values of our clients, but our internal values and beliefs are important as well, especially in an organization.
No comments:
Post a Comment