Thursday, September 26, 2013

Blog 4: Puppets

I love playing games because they allow more opportunities for me to actually learn and broaden my perspective. One thing that really resonated with me was the Puppet game. I personally liked being the puppet more than I liked being the puppeteer. This can be applied to my real life as well and how I would interact in an organization.


I like being a follower, which is weird because I am really opinionated, independent, and tend to have major trust issues in group projects. At the same time, I am not a big fan of the responsibility, creativity, and confrontation.

I feel that in an organization, I would not be the one to IMAGINE change. I would tend to be the person who would talk about the changes to the people around me, however, I would want other people to take the reins.

Honestly, I think there needs to be people that are followers to really make an organization work. If everyone is trying to push their own ideas, there won't be anyone to muster support from. Every organization needs a working base, people that are passionate to help the change but don't want to be the one to initiate it and that is what I imagine myself doing.



Observation: New Jersey Association of the Deaf-Blind Inc. changed its name to Everas Community Services and their mission statement to allow more services to be provided to more people.

2 comments:

  1. One thing the puppeteer game doesn't illuminate is that between leaders and followers there are facilitators and planner. You might be one of those, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment #2 (Blog 4): You bring up a good point; I think many times, individuals don't want to admit that they might like being followers better because society tells us that if we're not leaders, we're "weak." Well, one thing I have learned is that to be a good leader you need to be a good follower. You need to know the opinions of everyone and many times, you can only do this by listening and following. You mentioned that you were surprised because you're very opinionated and independent, but that doesn't mean you're solely a follower. While you might think that you don't like full responsibility and therefore the title "leader," many of our best leaders lead from the back, as a follower. I need to work on becoming a better follower.

    ReplyDelete