Monday, November 11, 2013

Blog 10: Experience VS. Hope

I think the most important thing they teach us in the world of social work is: awareness.

Because of social work, I am so much more aware of prejudices and privilege. Whether it is my white roommate making a horribly offensive comment, how most suburban track homes include stairs to enter the buildings, or how many state prisons and jails in Texas don't have air conditioning (but their pigs do/will).

It was my Dad's birthday this weekend, so I went home to spend time with my family. I honestly don't know what we talked about before I became socially aware, because that seems to be all we talk about anymore during family discussions. I love my family, and to give them credit, my parents are very compassionate loving and generous people. However, we tend to disagree on pretty much everything (with a few exceptions).

Our main problem is that we are fighting with opposite weapons. They are fighting with life-jaded realism and I am fighting with hopeful optimism. I strongly hold on to the belief that I (we as social workers) can change the world for the better.  I believe in a world where houses and buildings are systematically accessible for everyone. I believe in the dignity and worth of all people, where they have wronged me or society or are not even born yet.

Because of that, I will continue to be an advocate. I will speak my hopeful truths to the people I care about most.

Observation: The United Nations convention on climate opened last week, stating that we all must address climate change to prevent more large natural disasters like typhoon Haiyan, which has devastated the islands of the Philippines.

2 comments:

  1. I think that this is a tough one for most people, and I'm so glad to read that you still find your strength. I often wonder how to make an impact on those beliefs that have been formed through much time and eroding. I also find myself only talking about social issues, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part about social work is the awareness it has given me about privilege.

    ReplyDelete