I was sitting in the car with my parents the other day. Let me give you some background on my parents, they are both white, Christian, heterosexual, middle-class republicans. My father is the COO (chief operating officer) of an international company. My mother is a biblical counselor.
Anyways, we are sitting in the car and my father brings up an article that he read about how the CEO of Goodwill makes about $750,000 a year. My mother's response was that she couldn't believe someone trying to help others would make so much money. (Side note: Here is the link to the article my father was talking about. The article really had nothing to do with his specific salary and we did have a discussion about the true issue of the article which was why was Goodwill paying disabled people so much less than minimum wage)
My mothers response (I'll be honest, I had that gut reaction at first too) is so indicative of our culture. In the TED talk we listened to, Dan Pallotta talked about how our culture thinks it is perfectly okay for people of random companies like Google or FaceBook to make hundreds of thousands of dollars in a salary, yet it is seen as outrageously unfair for people who are actually helping others and making a difference in the world to make that kind of money for a salary. Our culture calls them "offenders" and tells people not to donate to these companies according to this monstrosity.
I don't think that this aspect of our culture will change in the near future, but I hope that people who work in and are in charge of non-profits will be able to make livable wages like the people who are only out there to serve themselves.
Observation about Communities:
A kid from my high school was killed. The town/school/alumni showed their support and community by wearing blue and writing the number 33 on their wrists.
I agree with your comment that it will take a long time for society to change their ideas about social work and non-profits, but I too have hope. Just as it's taken a long time for under-served populations to eschew discrimination and prejudice, this changing societal value on social work will happen over time.
ReplyDeleteI think many of us have the same response when hearing facts like this. I also hope that our culture will learn to change their beliefs about who deserves what and how much. Hopefully this will happen sooner than later.
ReplyDeleteIt's so interesting that this went so perfectly with the TED talk we watched. Also, I agree that a lot of people in our society today would be shocked at the amount of money that CEO is making. Why is this so hard for us to accept? It makes sense to pay someone that is doing good for society a reasonable amount. Just because they assist the needy does not mean that they, themselves must also be needy! Great post Andie, I really loved reading this!
ReplyDelete