I was listening to NPR on Friday while I was in my car, driving home.
The segment on NPR was about women in Saudi Arabia who are a protesting the fact that they are not allowed to drive. WHAT? I mean there I was driving, listening about women who are forbidden to drive in their country.
I am not big on feminism or women's rights, but this really hit me hard. There are so many things that I take for granted as a citizen of America. There are so many rights that I completely take for granted. I started thinking about what my life would be like without being able to drive. I wouldn't be able to drive to work, I wouldn't be able to drive home to see my family, and I wouldn't be able to be free.
Driving is a simple, but huge freedom. These women are fighting against laws and social norms to do something that I do every day. They did this by getting a community of women to protest together by getting in their cars and driving. It is kind of amazing to think about how much change can come from a group of people with one goal.
Communities
are a powerful thing. They can change the world as we know it. I can see the
importance of macro practice in ensuring that all people can achieve the rights
that they deserve to have.
Observation: There is talk of building a terminal connection across the US/Mexico border between the Tijuana and San Diego airports.
No comments:
Post a Comment