Saturday, October 5, 2013

Blog 5: Perspective

I was browsing through Pinterest, and I saw this. It completely melted my heart with it's sincere, heartwarming (highly idealistic) truth. I know that in the privilege centered culture we live in, having a disability or label makes life very difficult.

This week in class we were creating our own communities. It got me thinking about what my ideal community would actually look like in a perfect world. In my ideal community, the only disability would be a bad attitude. The people who want opportunities would have access to them.

I know this ideal community is impossible to achieve on this earth, at least in my lifetime. But that is why I am choosing to become a social worker. I want to spend my days making opportunities available to people who want them. Providing people with information and the means to achieve goals they might have never thought were possible. I choose to be a social worker because I want to break down those barriers (ability, skin color, sexual orientation, class, or whatever they might be) and help people to be the best version of themselves and for them to achieve their goals and dreams.

And because I don't live in that community right now, I want to try to make that community wherever I go.

Observation: The U.S. Federal Government shut down this week, and a large part of the American people were seemingly unaffected.

2 comments:

  1. Comment 10: I agree with you and think a perfect community would be one where the only disability that existed was a bad attitude. After creating the communities it also made me think of how our society makes it extremely difficult for people to do certain things if they have a disability hindering them in certain areas of life. I think as social workers, one of our most important jobs is to offer resources to people to help them create opportunities for themselves and to encourage them to never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, unfortunately our world is full of bad attitude that keeps it from being as equal and fair to everyone. I agree though, as social workers we are here to try and make the world a better place for everyone!

    ReplyDelete